Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Speaking with a Respectful Tone

Over the course of our marriage my husband has repeatedly brought it to my attention that I'm talking to him like a child.  This is completely unintentional, yet unacceptable if I am to be a woman professing godliness.  

In 1 Peter 3:4, Peter calls young women to have "the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit."  When my husband asks for my help on the computer I often go into "teacher mode" and fail to portray a "gentle and quiet spirit."

How am I going to work on this?
  1. Pray! Pray! Pray! - I'm going to strive to pray every day, specifically asking God to help me maintain a "gentle and quiet spirit," especially with my husband.
  2. Practice being gentle - I know this may sound silly, but as the saying goes "practice makes perfect," I am going to practice talking to my husband using a respectful, gentle tone, even when he's not around.
  3. Pray some more! - When the occasion comes for me to help/teach my husband I'm going to try to remember to say a quick prayer, asking God to help me maintain a respectful tone.
Any suggestions?  Thoughts?  Comments?  - I would love to hear from you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment