Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Taking Time to Listen

After another conversation where my loving husband gently, but firmly brought to my attention my continuing failure to really listen and make sure I understand the words he is sharing with me, I have decided to truly commit myself to becoming a better listener.  Too many times I realize he is speaking halfway through his sentence, only hear and understand the last half, and make a false assumption concerning the first half.  This has led to many unnecessary, petty, draining, and discouraging arguments throughout our marriage.  It's way past time for me to overcome this flaw and improve my listening skills.

One of the first changes I need to make is to be "swift to hear" rather than being "swift to assume." James writes, "So then, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath; for the wrath of man does not produce the righteousness of God."  (1:19, 20)  How very true and practical are these words!

Another change I plan to work on is being a more humble listener.  I shouldn't be so proud as to think I heard correctly the first time.  I have misunderstood too many times to be confident I always hear people correctly the first time.  It makes for greater peace to ask my hubby to repeat himself, rather than make up after a 15 minute petty argument that could have been avoided.

"Before destruction the heart of a man is haughty, And before honor is humility." - Proverbs 18:12


God gave us two ears and one mouth, so we ought to listen twice as much as we speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment