Today's Thought: Considering the Thoughts/Feelings/Emotions our clothing evokes in those around us...particularly in the opposite sex.
"...the women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with propriety and moderation, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or costly clothing, but, which is proper for women professing godliness, with good works." - 1 Timothy 2:9
Let's look at the original Greek meaning behind some of these words:
modesty - "well-arranged, seemly, modest"
propriety/shamefacedness - "decency, reverence, a sense of shame, modesty"
moderation/sobriety - "self-control, appropriateness, reasonableness, sobriety)
proper/becometh - "to be becomely, seemly, fit, appropriate, to be proper"
When considering how we will adorn ourselves we need to answer these questions:
- Does it show others the exact shape of my body?
- Will it distract others from focusing on God?
- Does it show a quietness of spirit?
- Does it expose my chest/thighs/back/rear when I bend/sit/move etc?
- What kind of example does it set for others?
- Why am I choosing to wear this? - if you're dressing to appear "sexy" you've got the wrong mindset and need to re-evaluate your heart.
- Will someone who's taller than me be able to see down my top?
- Is it something I would feel comfortable wearing in the presence of my Heavenly Father? - He's everywhere and knows what you're wearing all the time, and knows then intentions of you're heart when you're getting dressed.
I hope this has helped you prepare for the warmer weather we have coming our way! May you always be a woman professing godliness in you inward and outward adornment.
Additional Resources on Modesty
Put Your Clothes On!
- by Wes McAdams