Monday, July 30, 2012

DIY Chevron Marble Magnets

Again, this is a project I have been "planning" to do for several months that I'm finally making the time for!  Now that I'm through the first trimester, I'm realizing that time is going by much faster than I anticipated, so I'm trying to get as much done as I can before baby arrives.  I know, I sill have several months, but you haven't seen the nursery yet!  EEKS!

I had seen several pins on Pinterest for these cute and easy DIY magnets.  I recently found a tutorial at Tripping Over Joy that was simple and easy to follow here.  So...I gathered my materials and began working on the design for my magnets.

 Materials:
  • glass marbles - ones that have a flat side - I bought these Jumbo Clear Luster Gems at the Dollar Store
  • craft glue - that dries clear (I used rubber cement because that is what I had on hand.  It didn't work the best, so I would recommend using a different glue that is stronger.)
  • image to you want to decorate marbles with
  • magnetic buttons
I am making these for our kitchen, so I decided to make them match the chevron theme I already had going on with these pieces. I chose to keep the design fairly simple, just using words and a chevron background.  (I used the grey chevron printable paper I found here at Mel Stampz for the background.  She has LOTS of wonderful available to match any decor!)  I chose words that have to do with faith, family and living for God.  I thought this would be a nice gentle reminder for my family of how we are to conduct ourselves.  Here is what I came up with:


I measured my gems and made my circles to fit the gems.  Most of my gems were at least 1" diameter, so that's the size I made my circles.  Then I made the font boxes for the words and fit them into the circles.  I don't have a fancy circle punch, so these babies were cut out by hand!

Then I glued them face down to the flat side of the marbles.  The magnets I bought were self-adhesive, so attaching them to the backs of the marbles was a sinch!

My finished product!
Hint:  If you are using rubber cement, make sure you let the glue dry completely (20-30 minutes) before placing on your magnetic surface.  I didn't wait, and when I went to re-arrange the magnets the paper came off the marble gems and I had to re-glue several.

My husband and I love these!  They are cute, one-of-a-kind, functional, encouraging and uplifting!  How could magnets get any better?

Linking @:
The Sunday Showcase Party @ Under the Table and Dreaming 
Tutorials & Tips Link Party  @ Home Stories A to Z
Craft and Tell @ Cherished Bliss
Take-A-Look Tuesday @ Sugar Bee Crafs
Tip Me Tuesday @ Tip Junkie
Tip Junkie handmade projects
Home Decor and Organizing Link Party @ Organize and Decorate Everything
Lil' Luna Link Party @ Lil' Luna 
Whatever Goes Wednesday @ Someday Crafts 
Delightfully Inspiring Thursday Party @ Delightful Order
The 36th Avenue Party Time @ The 36th Avenue
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest 
Weekend Wrap Up Party @ Tatertots&Jello
The Creative Spark @ Clean $ Scentsible 

7 comments:

  1. I was at my sister's house last week and she was doing this same thing! I made a few and want to make more! I love how yours turned out. What a nice thing to have in your kitchen to help display those beautiful baby pictures you will have before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patty, Thank you for those sweet words and for stopping by BK@H! These magnets are so fun and easy to make! We're using some to display our 6 week ultrasound pictures right now! Only 5 more months until we'll have baby pictures to hang, too, Lord willing!

      Delete
  2. I'm your very first follower! HOORAY! I feel so honored :) And these are just too cute. Seriously. I absolutely LOVE the chevron. Can't wait to see more girly! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Thank you so much for being my first follower!! I am very excited to have you as my follower and hope you enjoy my blog as much as I do! Have an amazing day! :)

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing with us at Someday Crafts. I will be featuring your tutorial tonight on our blog. Please stop back and and grab a Featured at Someday Crafts Button for your blog. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle, you absolutely made my day! This is the first time I have ever been featured by another blogger and has been a day I have been dreaming of for some time. Thank you for making it a reality! I am so excited to add a "Featured at Someday Crafts" button to my blog! Thanks again for the kind words and feature. :)

      Delete
  4. Thank you and you're welcome! :)

    ReplyDelete