Today I'm going to share with you the fun details of how I improved the space!
1. Messy catch-all shelf. Everything that doesn't have a home or an easy-access home lands here...and piles and piles up! Not exactly what I'd like to have going on here.
2. Amazing stacking trays from the Container Store. The top tray holds printer paper and envelopes (which you cannot see in this picture) and the bottom tray is outfitted two Austin Cracker boxes that act as drawers and hold notes and receipts.
3. Paper sorter with my immediate filing system, blogging notebook, envelopes for our money-management system and several papers that need to be sorted through.
4. These cords are always being rolled over and getting tangled in the chair legs. I need to find a solution so that they are out of the way.
1. Shelf is currently cleaned off. I am going to try to implement my filing system much more and find an easy-access home for the odds-and-ends that end up on this shelf.
2. I covered the Austin Cracker boxes with some pretty wrapping paper and added a couple Martha Stewart File Folder labels to give them a more finished look.
They're so pretty now!!
3. I cleaned out my paper sorter so that only the items that truly belong reside there. In the back I keep my immediate filing system that I use when sorting the mail: Blog Planning, Bills to Pay, Need to File, Receipts to File, and Coupons. In the front of the letter sorter are empty envelopes for our envelope money-managing system. When envelopes have $$ in them, they go in my purse. Unfortunately, most of these envelopes never make it into my purse.
4. No more cords in the way! (They are hiding behind the storage shelf.)
New! - I found a piece of cork I'd been holding onto and painted a white chevron design on it. With the newly arranged space I had the perfect spot to hang it!
Face-lift - I tucked some of the wrapping paper I used to cover the Austin Cracker boxes into a little Mason jar. I am using the Mason jar to hold pens, pencils and a pair of scissors.
5. Extra pens that don't belong - I love my multi-colored pens, but am not happy with how they look in the space. I prefer a more stream-lined, simple look.
6. Loose papers, notebooks, etc. just shoved into space - most of which need a new home.
7. Items that don't belong either because I never use them or because they take away from the stream-lined, simple look I am trying to achieve.
8. Awkward spacing between desk and wall. Arranging the desk and shelf was a challenge for me when I first moved them into the space. I am sure I had a reason for putting the shelf between the desk and the wall, but I couldn't think of it the other day, so under the desk it went!
9. Exposed cords.
5. Extra pens re-located to new home.
6. Loose papers, notebooks, etc. re-located to new home. Heavy weight printer paper now stored here.
7. Items that don't belong removed and binders (most of them) given labels using the same font and color to achieve stream-lined effect.d
8. Moving the shelf under the desk really changed the look of the space! I like how it hides the shelf and the items stored within.
9. Since I moved the shelf I was able to tuck the formerly exposed cords behind the shelf. Now they are hidden and out of the way!
This was a fun and fairly easy project that I was able to complete in just a few hours. Can't wait to tackle my kitchen for next week's challenge!
The Sunday Showcase Party @ Under the Table and Dreaming
Making the World Cuter Monday @ Making the World Cuter
Made by You Monday @ Skip to My Lou
Mop It Up Monday @ I Should Be Mopping the Floor
Tutorials and Tips Link Party @ Home Stories A to Z
Titus 2 Tuesday @ Cornerstone Confessions
Lil' Luna Link Party @ Lil' Luna
The Creative Spark @ Clean and Scentsible
Wow Me Wednesday @ Ginger Snap Crafts
Whatever Goes Wednesday @ Someday Crafts
Delightfully Inspiring Thursday Party @ Delightful Order
The 36th Avenue Party Time @ The 36th Avenue
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
Finished Friday @ All Our Days
Frugalicious Friday @ Finding Fabulous
I like what you've done! I'm honored to be one of your blogs you love <3 I really like the design of your blog have you done it all yourself? I've been playing around with mine a little here and there but there are things I don't know how to do just yet. Did you make your own header? It's super cute!!ReplyDelete
I LOVE the cracker boxes covered in decorative paper. What an ingenious idea! Stopping by from Mop it up Mondays. :)ReplyDelete
Thanks Melinda! I'm always trying to find ways to up-cycle/re-use everyday items, especially ones that would ordinarily be thrown away. Have a wonderful day!Delete
good work! it's such a nice feeling to have your space organized:)ReplyDelete
Yes it is Carissa! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I have found I want to spend a lot more time at my desk now that it's all pretty and organized. :PDelete
You did a great job! It looks very well organized now! I got inspired after viewing the before and after image of your working space. I think I need to do what you did. Can't wait to see mine! Thanks for sharing!ReplyDelete
Thank you! I wish you the best as you organize your office space! I would love to see your finished project! :)Delete
Thank you. Taking notes. I think your office looked great even in the before photo. :) Mine is a complete mess.ReplyDelete
Thanks for those sweet words, Julie! Being that my desk is in the dining room and visible from the main hallway and kitchen I try to keep it tidy at all times. :) I hope your notes help you turn your office into an organized space you enjoy working in! Have a wonderful day!Delete
I love that you hid the cords, they are always my hugest pet peeve! Lindsey @ http://the-dailyme.blogspot.comReplyDelete
It's one of mine, too, Lindsey! They were always getting in the way! I still have to tuck them away every once in a while, but a few rubber bands should do the trick. I plan to make them more secure after the baby comes, at almost 40 weeks getting down under my desk (and then getting up!) is more work than I feel like doing right now. :PReplyDelete
Hi Jessica! Your space looks great. I've been organizing my office too. Isn't it a nice feeling to be organize. I love it, now if I could just stay this way. ;-)ReplyDelete
I'm having a GOOGLE + Social hop. I'd love for you to hop on over, grab a button and link up your Google +. If you don't have Google + it's ok, come link up your blog or favorite post.
I'm also looking for Pinterest Pinners to feature every week beginning in January. If you are on Pinterest and are interested in being featured come link up! Who knows you might meet some other great pinners and gain a few great ideas.
Thank you, Denyse! I missed your GOOGLE +Social Hop, but was able to submit my Pinterest. Thanks so much for the invitations! Your newest follower!Delete
I love how you altered the space:)ReplyDelete
Hopping by and following your lovely blog's FB and Pinterest. I blog @ Getting Healthy with Essential Oils
I am also inviting you to join Tiddle Diddle Handmade Shoppe's first giveaway event.
Thanks for the sweet comment and for following me on FB and Pinterest! Thank you also for the link to your blog and giveaway invite. :)Delete
I must say, your office looks lovelier after your re-organization. With clutter and mess gone, the space looks tidy and every piece is in their proper place. It is a must that we give our working space a face lift once in a while. Simple steps like decluterring can make a difference in your space.ReplyDelete
You're so right, Blake! Thanks for those kind words and for stopping by BK@H!Delete
Congratulations for that impressive explanation! You have perfectly rendered the tips and rationale behind the importance of organising an office.ReplyDelete
Thank you! :DDelete
A uniquely written and explained blog! Your organising skills are perfect too. Your office space looks cosier especially now that those wires under the table are kept neatly. They need to be tied together since they can be really distracting.ReplyDelete
Thank you for those kind words! Tying the cords together is a great idea and something that needs to be added to my to-do list! Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting!Delete
Your new office space looks great Jessica! A little rearranging and de-cluttering does a lot in making the area clean and organized. Good thing that you are always able to maintain it that way too! It’s also cool that you added useful decorative pieces like the corkboard and the boxes to add color and pattern to your workstation.ReplyDelete
Thanks Rosalee! Since Baby has entered my life I haven't always maintained an organized office space - but it definitely hasn't gotten out of hand. Having the trays and file folders makes it easy to do a quick tidy if things pile-up. I really appreciate you stopping by and leaving such an encouraging comment!Delete