Today I'm going to share with you the fun details of how I improved the space!
1. Messy catch-all shelf. Everything that doesn't have a home or an easy-access home lands here...and piles and piles up! Not exactly what I'd like to have going on here.
2. Amazing stacking trays from the Container Store. The top tray holds printer paper and envelopes (which you cannot see in this picture) and the bottom tray is outfitted two Austin Cracker boxes that act as drawers and hold notes and receipts.
3. Paper sorter with my immediate filing system, blogging notebook, envelopes for our money-management system and several papers that need to be sorted through.
4. These cords are always being rolled over and getting tangled in the chair legs. I need to find a solution so that they are out of the way.
1. Shelf is currently cleaned off. I am going to try to implement my filing system much more and find an easy-access home for the odds-and-ends that end up on this shelf.
2. I covered the Austin Cracker boxes with some pretty wrapping paper and added a couple Martha Stewart File Folder labels to give them a more finished look.
They're so pretty now!!
3. I cleaned out my paper sorter so that only the items that truly belong reside there. In the back I keep my immediate filing system that I use when sorting the mail: Blog Planning, Bills to Pay, Need to File, Receipts to File, and Coupons. In the front of the letter sorter are empty envelopes for our envelope money-managing system. When envelopes have $$ in them, they go in my purse. Unfortunately, most of these envelopes never make it into my purse.
4. No more cords in the way! (They are hiding behind the storage shelf.)
New! - I found a piece of cork I'd been holding onto and painted a white chevron design on it. With the newly arranged space I had the perfect spot to hang it!
Face-lift - I tucked some of the wrapping paper I used to cover the Austin Cracker boxes into a little Mason jar. I am using the Mason jar to hold pens, pencils and a pair of scissors.
5. Extra pens that don't belong - I love my multi-colored pens, but am not happy with how they look in the space. I prefer a more stream-lined, simple look.
6. Loose papers, notebooks, etc. just shoved into space - most of which need a new home.
7. Items that don't belong either because I never use them or because they take away from the stream-lined, simple look I am trying to achieve.
8. Awkward spacing between desk and wall. Arranging the desk and shelf was a challenge for me when I first moved them into the space. I am sure I had a reason for putting the shelf between the desk and the wall, but I couldn't think of it the other day, so under the desk it went!
9. Exposed cords.
5. Extra pens re-located to new home.
6. Loose papers, notebooks, etc. re-located to new home. Heavy weight printer paper now stored here.
7. Items that don't belong removed and binders (most of them) given labels using the same font and color to achieve stream-lined effect.d
8. Moving the shelf under the desk really changed the look of the space! I like how it hides the shelf and the items stored within.
9. Since I moved the shelf I was able to tuck the formerly exposed cords behind the shelf. Now they are hidden and out of the way!
This was a fun and fairly easy project that I was able to complete in just a few hours. Can't wait to tackle my kitchen for next week's challenge!
The Sunday Showcase Party @ Under the Table and Dreaming
Making the World Cuter Monday @ Making the World Cuter
Made by You Monday @ Skip to My Lou
Mop It Up Monday @ I Should Be Mopping the Floor
Tutorials and Tips Link Party @ Home Stories A to Z
Titus 2 Tuesday @ Cornerstone Confessions
Lil' Luna Link Party @ Lil' Luna
The Creative Spark @ Clean and Scentsible
Wow Me Wednesday @ Ginger Snap Crafts
Whatever Goes Wednesday @ Someday Crafts
Delightfully Inspiring Thursday Party @ Delightful Order
The 36th Avenue Party Time @ The 36th Avenue
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
Finished Friday @ All Our Days
Frugalicious Friday @ Finding Fabulous