Wednesday, March 14, 2012

In Whom Do You Trust?

After thinking about thanksgiving and considering all the wonderful blessings God has showered down upon me I've realized that God ALWAYS takes care of the things I need, and even gives beyond the basic needs...so why don't I trust Him more?  He's never allowed me to  be "in want" of food, clothing, or shelter.  I need to trust the Lord with all my heart, and lean not on my own understanding.


As we live here in the world, it is very easy for us to put our trust in the things/people which we can see, feel, and have a conversation with in which we have immediate answers we can hear clearly.  However, if we fail to put ALL our trust in the Lord, we will not cease to concern ourselves with how our life is going to pan out.

Here are some passages to help you determine where you should/should not put your trust.

WHERE SHOULD WE NOT PUT OUR TRUST/FAITH?
Christ is on His way to Jerusalem and is passing through Samaria and Galilee; He had just cleansed 10 lepers in a certain village.  The Pharisees there have asked Him when the Kingdom is going to come.  This is the second parable He spoke to them on this occasion.
Luke 18:9-14 - 9 Also He spoke this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others: 10 “Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, ‘God, I thank You that I am not like other men—extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I possess.’ 13And the tax collector, standing afar off, would not so much as raise his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me a sinner!’ 14I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.”
Paul is writing to the brethren at Corinth after he and Timothy had suffered great tribulations.  In the previous verses he thanks them for he knows that the Corinthians are partakers in their sufferings (in that they care for Paul and Timothy, and suffer when they suffer) and that they also know they partake of the consolation, in knowing they are safe and well.
2 Cor. 1:8-11 - 8 For we do not want you to be ignorant, brethren, of our trouble which came to us in Asia: that we were burdened beyond measure, above strength, so that we despaired even of life. 9Yes, we had the sentence of death in ourselves, that we should not trust in ourselves but in God who raises the dead, 10 who delivered us from so great a death, and does deliver us; in whom we trust that He will still deliver us, 11 you also helping together in prayer for us, that thanks may be given by many persons on our behalf for the gift granted to us through many.
Here, brother Paul is writing to the Philippians.  He has just praised Timothy and Epaphroditus in the previous chapter.
Phil 3: 3-6 - 1 Finally, my brethren, rejoice in the Lord. For me to write the same things to you is not tedious, but for you it is safe.  2 Beware of dogs, beware of evil workers, beware of the mutilation! 3 For we are the circumcision, who worship God in the Spirit, rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh, 4 though I also might have confidence in the flesh. If anyone else thinks he may have confidence in the flesh, I more so: 5circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of the Hebrews; concerning the law, a Pharisee; 6 concerning zeal, persecuting the church; concerning the righteousness which is in the law, blameless.
At the end of chapter 1, Paul is encouraging the Corinthians by expressing that God has chosen the foolish and weaker things to lift up that they might shame the wise and mighty.  He also says “He who glories, let him glory in the LORD.”
1 Cor. 2:1-5 - 1 And I, brethren, when I came to you, did not come with excellence of speech or of wisdom declaring to you the testimony of God. 2 For I determined not to know anything among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified. 3 I was with you in weakness, in fear, and in much trembling. 4 And my speech and my preaching were not with persuasive words of human wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, 5 that your faith should not be in the wisdom of men but in the power of God. 

LOOK TO CHRIST AS OUR EXAMPLE, WHERE DID HE PUT HIS TRUST?
Christ is hanging on the cross and the chief priests are mocking Him saying: 
Matt. 27:42, 43 - 42 “He saved others; Himself He cannot save. If He is the King of Israel, let Him now come down from the cross, and we will believe Him. 43He trusted in God; let Him deliver Him now if He will have Him; for He said, ‘I am the Son of God.’” 

EXAMPLE OF BRETHREN WHO PUT THEIR TRUST IN GOD
Paul is writing to the Corinthians commending them for being living epistles of Christ.  That they have the Word written on their hearts as they have been ministered to by Paul and the other apostles. 
2 Cor. 3:4-6 - 4 And we have such trust through Christ toward God. 5Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think of anything as being from ourselves, but our sufficiency is from God, 6 who also made us sufficient as ministers of the new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life. 
Here, Paul is writing to the brethren at Philippi.  In the previous verses he has called them to be like-minded and humble.  He is also calling on them to be lights in the world, that they might profess godliness in all they do, rejoicing as they are being poured out. 
Phil. 2:19-24 - 19 But I trust in the Lord Jesus to send Timothy to you shortly, that I also may be encouraged when I know your state. 20 For I have no one like-minded, who will sincerely care for your state. 21 For all seek their own, not the things which are of Christ Jesus. 22 But you know his proven character, that as a son with his father he served with me in the gospel. 23 Therefore I hope to send him at once, as soon as I see how it goes with me. 24 But Itrust in the Lord that I myself shall also come shortly. 
In the previous verses, Paul had rebuked Peter for being carried away with hypocrisy, not eating with the Gentiles because they were uncircumcised.  He has reminded these men that they are not justified by works alone, but by their faith in the law and in Christ Jesus, and that they are no longer under the old law which required circumcision. 
Gal. 2:19-21 - 19 For I through the law died to the law that I might live to God. 20 I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me. 21 I do not set aside the grace of God; for if righteousness comes through the law, then Christ died in vain.”





No comments:

Post a Comment