Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Meaningfully Organized Prayer


Before we initiate conversations with those around us, especially those in authority, we generally have a purpose for approaching them, something specific we desire to communicate to them.  We've considered how we are going to organize our words so that we convey our thoughts effectively and efficiently.  Rarely do we go before them without first thinking about what we are going to say.  Why should it be any different with our Heavenly Father, the Ultimate Authority?
 
 I have found that keeping a prayer journal or even jotting down those I desire to pray for has helped me to pray more sincerely and effectively.


Here's a peek into how I have organized my prayer journal:

Adoration - Praise God for He is great and greatly to be praised (Psalm 94:6)
Gratitude - Giving thanks for the many blessings God has showered upon me and for answered prayers (Ephesians 5:20)
Requests - Letting my requests be made known to God (Philippians 4:6)
  1. Those who are Spiritually Sick - those who have left the straight and narrow and are following after their own desires
  2. Those who are Physically Sick
  3. Those who need Spiritual Strength to help them overcome struggles they are facing
  4. The Local Church I am a part of - that we will continue to grow in knowledge and love of the Truth and become closer to one another
  5. My Husband
  6. Myself

Here is an acrostic that would be helpful in guiding a more specific personal prayer in which you are beseeching God to help you overcome the wiles of the Devil.


Below is an acrostic I have used with children in Bible Classes I have taught.  This acrostic helps them to focus on Jesus/God first, then others and themselves last.  Using this provides another opportunity for me to reinforce the importance Jesus should have in our lives and that we should consider others before ourselves.


May we all spend quality time with our Heavenly Father in Prayer as we journey toward our eternal goal of being forever in His presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment